Wednesday, March 16, 2011

AK Attractions and Recreation

Dog Mushing - The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race began in 1973.  In this race, dog teams and their Musher cover 1,150 miles from Anchorage to Nome in nine to fifteen days. This year's race was won yesterday, (3/15/2011) by John Baker.  John is the first Alaska Native to win the race since 1976.


I read an article that made me think more about the Native Alaskan people.  What is their traditional Native Eskimo clothing like?  I'm sure that these moccasins would keep me warm!


Denali National Park & Preserve - Surrounding Mount McKinley (the tallest point in Alaska at the 20,000-foot peak) is Denali National Park & Preserve. The park offers great wildlife viewing and
amazing landscapes.  Here you can see glaciers, wooded islands, with an excellent opportunity to see all sorts of wildlife in this part of Alaska. Definitely an experience of a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Check out the following link for a cool Iditarod video of the Jamaican Dogsled team:

    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5948899&categoryid=3060647

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, thank you for commenting! I love my readers!

    ReplyDelete